Search This Blog

Twitter

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Are you worth more than Barbaro?

Most people in America know the story of Barbaro. "An American thoroughbred that decisively won the 2006 Kentucky Derby but shattered his leg two weeks later, in the 2006 Preakness Stakes, ending his racing career and eventually leading to his death" (Wikipedia).

If my memory serves me correct, many a horse -with a far less critical injury- has met his demise from a bullet. What is interesting/dumbfounding or just plain insulting is the amount of money that went into trying to keep this horse alive. I wonder if many humans would get the same privilege. In a world with; people starving, critical health crisis', daily murders, cultural and social decadence. Can we really sleep comfortably as this horse has six to seven surgeries that probably cost the same as the GNP of a small country? I can't!

The profit from breeding this horse, far outweighed the monetary sacrifice of keeping him alive. We're supposed to live with that? I am not a moral barometer, but do find myself doubting societies myopia. At which point does it stop being okay to just plain do nonsensical things? I guess we're just showing what the roots of capitalism truly are. Where one can make a buck; do not spare any expense. Whereas, where people may be dying; run a feasibility study first to assess the impact of your investment. That's the American way?

Barbaro was on his way to make history, but he's a horse. Just a horse. Okay, he was a fast horse, I'll give him that. Better still a very fast horse. Now, he's just a dead horse, who had a few million dropped on his two legs. This is quite disgruntling, especially when I can't get my insurance company to cover my daughter's allergy medicine.

No comments: